In 2012 Fluorspar Primary School posted their best result since the inception of KCPE in Kenya in 1985. The school was ranked 4th out of 114 schools in the Keiyo south District and position 12 out of 345 schools in the Elgeyo Marakwet County. It was also the most improved private school in the District in 2012. In addition, in Social Studies /CRE the school was the top performer in the District whilst in English we were placed third among the top three performers in the subjects in the District.
Ten of the 18 pupils who sat for the examination scored a mean grade of between B+ and A .They have been invited to join very good and well performing schools in the country, the best pupil joining Alliance Boys’ High School.
It was song and dance at Fluorspar Primary School on 28 January 2013 during the release of the results when the Minister for Education called out Kibet Enock Kipchumba’s name as the top pupil in Elgeyo Marakwet County, a position he shared with two others. The celebration of the 2012 KCPE achievement reached fever pitch when Enock finally arrived at the school. His fellow pupils carried him shoulder high amid cheers of jubilation from the school family.
After all had settled, he put the following across to the rest of the pupils. “I count myself privileged to have benefited from the wonderful facilities in this school. I appreciate the help from my teachers and the great motivation we received as a class from the Managing Director, Kenya Fluorspar Company.” He candidly adds, “For me the opening of the school library was a great blessing as I improved in my reading skills and my grades went up.”
We attribute the improved performance to:
- The good facilities in the school and particularly ICT programme, E-learning with smart boards and the new state of the art library which has contributed immensely to development of research, reading, writing and communication skills
- Motivation from the Managing Director Kenya Fluorspar Company, Mr. Nico Spangenberg, who closely follows the academic progress in the school.
- Facilitation of school programme by the sponsor-Kenya Fluorspar Company.
- The support to pupils by teachers and parents.
- Self drive and discipline on the pupils part.